The archaeology of childhood [electronic resource] : interdisciplinary perspectives on an archaeological enigma / edited by Güner Coşkunsu
- Albany : State University of New York Press, 
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 320 pages : illustrations ; 27 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Coşkunsu, Güner
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Introduction: Children as archaeological enigma / Güner Coskunsu -- Section 1. Theorizing (in)visbility, legitimacy, and biases in archaeological approaches to children and childhood -- The devil's advocate or our worst case scenario : the archaeology of childhood without any children / Jane Eva Baxter -- Making children legitimate : negotiating the place of children and childhoods in archaeological theory / Kathryn Kamp -- Considerations for method and theory in the archaeology of age / Scott Hutson -- Bodies and encounters : seeing invisible children in archaeology / Joanna Sofaer -- Modern biases, hunter-gatherers' children : on the visibility of children in other cultures / Nurit-Bird-David -- Section 2. Interdisciplinary and archaeological approaches to studying children and childhood in the past -- Grown up : adult height dimorphism as an archive of living conditions of boys and girls in prehistory / Eva Rosenstock -- Placing children in society : using ancient DNA to identify sex and kinship of child skeletal remains, and implications for gender and social organisation / Keri Brown -- Metaphors for understanding children and their role in culture / Jack Meacham -- Section 3. Case studies in the archaeology of childhood -- Children of the Ice Age / Paul Bahn -- Children in the anthropomorphic imagery of the European and Near Eastern Neolithic / Peter Biehl -- From playthings to sacred objects? : household enculturation rituals, figurines and plastering activities at Neolithic Çatalhöyük, Turkey / Sharon Moses -- The ends and means of childhood : mourning children in early Greece / Susan Langdon -- The Children's Cemetery of Lugnano in Teverina, Umbria : hierarchy, magic and malaria / David Soren -- Ethnicity and sexuality in Roman imperial relief : reconstructing the pederastic gaze / Jeannine Diddle Uzzi -- "A place for everything and everything in its place" : the cultural context of late Victorian toys / Kyle Somerville -- Section 4commentaries -- Theoretical issues in investigating childhood / Frank Hole -- Grubby little fingerprints : a commentary on the visibility of childhood / Traci Ardren.
- 9781438458052 (hardcover : alkaline paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 20516513