Aristocratic vice [electronic resource] : the attack on duelling, suicide, adultery, and gambling in eighteenth-century England / Donna T. Andrew
- Andrew, Donna T., 1945-
- New Haven : Yale University Press, 
- Physical Description:
- x, 318 pages ; 24 cm
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Introduction: the middle way: cultural skirmishes -- Contesting cultural authority: the code of honor and its critics -- "That wild decision of the private sword" -- Against "nature, religion and good manners": debating suicide -- "The chief topics of conversation": adultery and divorce in the Bon Ton -- Deserving "most the cognizance of the magistrate and the censor": combating gaming -- Vice in an age of respectability -- Conclusion: an end to aristocratic vice?
- 9780300184334 (cloth : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 303-313) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 20516563