Artisan entrepreneurs in Cairo and early-modern capitalism (1600-1800) [electronic resource] / Nelly Hanna
- Hanna, Nelly
- Syracuse, N.Y. : Syracuse University Press, 2011.
- 1st ed.
- Physical Description:
- ix, 244 p. ; 24 cm.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Defining a framework for the economic history of early-modern Egypt -- Artisan entrepreneurs: capitalist practices in a precapitalist environment -- A period of unprecedented social mobility for nonelites -- The Jalfis: oil pressers and emirs -- Competition between different forms of capitalism -- Guilds: moving between traditional and precapitalist structures -- Conclusion: what remained of artisan entrepreneurship a hundred years later?
- 9780815632795 (cloth : alk. paper)
0815632797 (cloth : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 223-235) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 20516657