Canada, the provinces, and the global nuclear revival [electronic resource] : advocacy coalitions in action / Duane Bratt
- Bratt, Duane, 1967-
- Montreal : McGill-Queen's University Press, c2012.
- Physical Description:
- xv, 398 p. : ill., map ; 24 cm.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- As the world struggles to meet the growing international demands for electricity, green energy, and alternatives to fossil fuels, the nuclear power sector is experiencing global growth. Nuclear reactors are being designed and constructed at record rates, and Canada is joining the trend, with several provinces considering an expansion of their nuclear presence. Canada, the Provinces, and the Global Nuclear Revival critically examines Canadian nuclear policy in order to show how historic, environmental, economic, and political factors have shaped the direction of the nation's energy industry. Duane Bratt presents a comparative study of the Canadian nuclear sector - using a framework of interest-based coalitions - in its response to the global revival, analyzing nuclear development in Ontario, New Brunswick, Saskatchewan, and Alberta. The book also answers fundamental questions such as: Has Canada seized international opportunities in uranium mining, reactor sales, and cooperation with other countries in nuclear research? To what extent has the industry been consolidated through mergers and acquisitions, foreign investment, and the privatization of crown corporations? A state-of-the-art exploration of Canada's place in the rapidly shifting world of electricity production by an acclaimed expert in the field, Canada, the Provinces, and the Global Nuclear Revival is a major contribution to the international nuclear debate.
- 9780773540699 (pbk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 20517886