History, memory, and Jewish identity [electronic resource] / edited by Ira Robinson, Naftali S. Cohn, and Lorenzo DiTommaso
- Boston : Brighton, MA : Academic Studies Press, 2016.
- Physical Description:
- x, 378 pages ; 25 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Robinson, Ira, 1951-, Cohn, Naftali S., and DiTommaso, Lorenzo
- North American Jewish studies
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- The causes of the Alexandrian pogrom and the visit of Agrippa I to Alexandria in 38 CE / Lionel Jehuda Sanders -- Sectarianism in the Mishnah: memory, modeling society, and rabbinic identity / Naftali S. Cohn -- Power and the (re)creation of collective cultural memory in early Judaism: the case of the Mishnah / Jack N. Lightstone -- Maimonides vs. Nahmanides on historical consciousness and the shaping of Jewish identity / James A. Diamond -- Community and sacrality: Jewish customs and identity in early modern Worms / Dean Phillip Bell -- Criticism and tradition: Leon Modena, Azariah deʼ Rossi, and Elijah Levita Bahur on Kabbalah and the Hebrew vowels / Howard Tzvi Adelman -- American Jewish immigrants and the invention of Europe / Beth S. Wenger -- North American Hasidim: between modernity and the old world / Steven Lapidus -- The challenge of memory for Yiddish language activists in Montreal / Pierre Anctil -- Identities, communities, and the infrastructures of history: creating Canadian Jewish archives in the 1930s and 1970s / Richard Menkis -- The Shoah, the sacred, and Jewish victim identity in postwar Germany and North America: the scar without the wound and the wound that did not close / Benjamin M. Baader -- Macro and micro insights into contemporary Jewish identities: Europe, Israel, and the United States / Calvin Goldscheider -- Rallying all of Israel: David Ben-Gurion and the book of Joshua / Rachel Havrelock -- Who is a Marrano? Reflections on modern Jewish identity / Ira Robinson.
- 1618114743 cloth, 9781618114747 cloth, 9781618114754 electronic, and 1618114751 electronic
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 20525616