Reading for health [electronic resource] : medical narratives and the nineteenth-century novel / Erika Wright
- Wright, Erika, 1970-
- Athens, Ohio : Ohio University Press, 
- Physical Description:
- x, 229 pages ; 24 cm.
- Series in Victorian studies
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Introduction: becoming patient readers -- Pt. 1. Domestication -- Jane Austen's plots of prevention -- Health, identity, and narrative authority in Jane Eyre -- Pt. 2. Isolation -- Quarantine, social theory, and Little Dorrit -- The omniscience of invalidism: The case of Harriet Martineau -- Pt. 3. Professionalization -- Narrative competence and the family doctor in Gaskell's Wives and daughters -- Afterword: health in narrative medicine.
- 9780821422243 (hc : alk. paper) and 9780821445631 (pdf)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 213-224) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 20533908