Rethinking agriculture [electronic resource] : archaeological and ethnoarchaeological perspectives / edited by Tim Denham, José Iriarte, and Luc Vrydaghs
- Walnut Creek, CA : Left Coast Press, c2007.
- Physical Description:
- vi, 468 p. : ill., maps ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Denham, Tim
Iriarte, José, Ph. D.
World Archaeological Congress (5th : 2003 : Washington, D.C.)
- One world archaeology series ; 51
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Rethinking agriculture : introductory thoughts / Luc Vrydaghs and Tim Denham -- Agriculture, cultivation and domestication : exploring the conceptual framework of early food production / David R. Harris -- Selection, cultivation, and reproductive isolation : a reconsideration of the morphological and molecular signals of domestication / Martin Jones and Terry Brown -- Subterranean diets in the tropical rain forests of Sarawak, Malaysia / Huw Barton and Victor Paz -- Early to mid-Holocene plant exploitation in New Guinea : towards a contingent interpretation of agriculture / Tim Denham -- Unravelling the story of early plant exploitation in highland Papua New Guinea / Jack Golson -- The meaning of ditches : interpreting the archaeological record from New Guinea using insights from ethnography / Tim Bayliss-Smith -- Traditional perspectives on agriculture from Rapa Nui (Easter Island, Chile) / Geertrui Louwagie and Roger Langohr -- New perspectives on plant domestication and the development of agriculture in the New World / José Iriarte -- Keepers of Louisiana's levees : early moundbuilders and forest managers / Gayle J. Fritz -- Modeling prehistoric agriculture through the palaeoenvironmental record : theoretical and methodological issues / Deborah M. Pearsall -- Chronicling indigenous accounts of the "rise of agriculture" in the Americas / Matthew P. Sayre -- Starch remains, preservation biases, and plant histories : an example from highland Peru / Linda Perry -- Emerging food-producing systems in the La Plata Basin : the Los Ajos Site / José Iriarte -- A tale of two tuber crops : how attributes of enset and yams may have shaped prehistoric human-plant interactions in south-west Ethiopia / Elisabeth Anne Hildebrand -- Multi-disciplinary evidence of mixed farming during the early Iron Age in Rwanda and Burundi / Marie-Claude Van Grunderbeek and Emile Roche -- The development of plant cultivation in semi-arid West Africa / Stefanie Kahlheber and Katharina Neumann -- Human impact and environmental exploitation in Gabon during the Holocene / Richard Oslisly and Lee White -- The establishment of traditional plantain cultivation in the African rain forest: a working hypothesis / Edmond De Langhe -- African pastoral perspectives on domestication of the donkey : a first synthesis / Fiona Marshall -- Using linguistics to reconstruct African subsistence systems : comparing crop names to trees and livestock / Roger Blench.
- 9781598742602 (alk. paper)
- "Developed from a session entitled 'Inherited Models and the Denial of Prehistory: Challenging Existing Concepts of Agriculture' at the Fifth World Archaeological Congress (WAC5) in Washington DC in June 2003"--Pref.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 20534652