Romantic sobriety [electronic resource] : sensation, revolution, commodification, history / Orrin N. C. Wang
- Wang, Orrin N. C., 1957-
- Baltimore : Johns Hopkins University Press, c2011.
- Physical Description:
- x, 369 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Introduction: the sensation of romanticism -- Part I: Periodicity. Romantic sobriety; Kant all lit up: romanticism, periodicity, and the catachresis of genius -- Part II: Theory. De man, Marx, Rousseau, and the machine; against theory beside romanticism: mute bodies, fanatical seeing; the sensation of the signifier; ghost theory -- Part III: Texts. Lyric Ritalin: time and history in Ode to the west wind; no satisfaction: high theory, cultural studies, and Don Juan; Gothic thought and surviving romanticism in Zafloya and Jane Eyre; coming attractions: Lamia and cinematic sensation -- Coda. The embarrassment of romanticism.
- 9781421400662 (hardcover : alk. paper)
1421400669 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -355) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 20535003