Sensible objects [electronic resource] : colonialism, museums, and material culture / edited by Elizabeth Edwards, Chris Gosden, and Ruth B. Phillips
- Oxford ; New York : Berg, 2006.
- English ed.
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 306 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Edwards, Elizabeth, 1952-, Gosden, Chris, 1955-, and Phillips, Ruth B. (Ruth Bliss), 1945-
- Wenner-Gren international symposium series
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Enduring and endearing feelings and the transformation of material culture in West Africa / Kathryn Linn Geurts and Elvis Gershon Adikah -- Studio photography and the aesthetics of citizenship in The Gambia, West Africa / Liam Buckley -- Cooking skill, the senses, and memory : the fate of practical knowledge / David Sutton -- Mata ora : chiseling the living face, dimensions of Maori tattoo / Ngahuia Te Akwekotuku -- Smoked fish and fermented oil : taste and smell among the kwakwaka'akw / Aldona Jonaitis -- Sonic spectacles of empire : the audio-visual nexus, Delhi-London, 1911-12 / Tim Barringer -- The museum as sensescape : western sensibilities and indigenous artifacts / Constance Classen and David Howes -- The fate of the senses in ethnographic modernity : the Margaret Mead Peoples of the Pacific Hall at the American Museum of Natural History / Diane Losche -- Contact points : museums and the lost body problem / Jeffrey Feldman -- The beauty of letting go : fragmentary museums and archaeologies of archive / Sven Ouzman.
- 9781845203245 (pbk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 20535566