Six memos from the last millennium [electronic resource] : a novelist reads the Talmud / by Joseph Skibell
- Skibell, Joseph
- Austin : University of Texas Press, 2016.
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- xxi, 240 pages : 24 cm
- Exploring jewish arts and culture
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- A novelist reads the Talmud : an introduction -- Timeline of relevant events, according to rabbinic tradition -- Memo one. Rabbi Yohanan and Rabbi Shimon Ben Lakish -- Eros and alchemy in the waters of the Jordan -- Memo two. Rabbi Shimon Bar Yohai -- Turning the hearts of fathers -- Memo three a, b, and c. Rabbi Elazar ben Rabbi Shimon, Rabbi Pinhas ben Yair, and Rabbi Judah ben Gerim -- Towards the hearts of sons -- Memo four. Rabban Gamliel II of Yavneh, Rabbi Joshua ben Hananiah, and Rabbi Eliezer ben Hyrcanus -- The gate of a broken heart -- Memo five. Rabbi Akiva, Shimon ben Azzai, Shimon ben Zoma, and Elisha ben Avuyah -- Revelation, retribution, perdition, ecstasy, and bliss : an epic canvas.
- 9781477307342 (cloth : alk. paper)
9781477307359 (library e-book)
9781477307366 (non-library e-book)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 20535905