Still the arena of Civil War [electronic resource] : violence and turmoil in reconstruction Texas, 1865-1874 / edited by Kenneth Howell
- Denton, Tex. : University of North Texas Press, 2012.
- 1st ed.
- Physical Description:
- xii, 445 p. : ill., map ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Howell, Kenneth Wayne, 1967-
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Introduction: the elusive story of violence in Reconstruction Texas, 1865/1874 / by Kenneth W. Howell -- Representatives of change: soldiers, bureau agents, and lawmen -- The post of greatest peril?: the Freedmen's Bureau subassistant commissioners and Reconstruction violence in Texas, 1865/1869 / by Christopher Bean -- "Shoot or get out of the way!": the murder of Texas Freedmen's Bureau agent William G. Kirkman by Cullen Baker; and the historians / by William L. Richter -- The world turned upside down?: the military occupation of Victoria and Calhoun counties, 1865/1867 / by Charles D. Spurlin -- William Longworth, Republican villain / by Richard B. McCaslin -- "The old hero of many cowardly and bloody murders": scalawag gang leader Ben Brown / by Dale Baum -- Finding a solution to Reconstruction violence: the Texas State Police / by Donaly Brice -- The insurgents and their allies: Texas terrorists, politicians, and newspaper editors -- When the Klan rode: terrorism in Reconstruction Texas / by James M. Smallwood -- The Democratic Party, the Ku Klux Klan, and the politics of fear / by Carl H. Moneyhon -- "A free and outspoken press": coverage of Reconstruction violence and turmoil in Texas newspapers, 1866/1868 / by Mary Jo O'Rear -- The victims: minorities and women -- Into freedom's abyss: reflections of Reconstruction violence in Texas / by Ronald Goodwin -- Foreigners in their native land: the violent struggle between Anglos and Tejanos for land titles in South Texas during Reconstruction / by Andres Tijerina -- "To punish and humiliate the entire community": white violence perpetrated against African-American women in Texas, 1865/1868 / by Rebecca Kosary -- Regional perspectives: the frontier, the interior, and places in between -- Governor James Throckmorton and the question of frontier violence in Reconstruction Texas, 1866/1867 / by Kenneth W. Howell -- An uncompromising line between Yankee rule and rebel rowdies: Reconstruction violence in Lavaca County / by Douglas Kubicek and Carroll Scogin-Brincefield -- Reconstruction violence on the lower Brazos River Valley / by John W. Gorman.
- 9781574414493 (cloth : alk. paper) and 9781574414578 (e-book)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 20536580