Yooper talk : dialect as identity in Michigan's Upper Peninsula / Kathryn A. Remlinger
- Remlinger, Kathryn A.
- Madison, Wisconsin : The University of Wisconsin Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xxi, 183 pages : illustrations, map ; 23 cm.
- Languages and folklore of the Upper Midwest
- Introduction: Yoopers, Yooper talk, and English in Michigan's Upper Peninsula -- Dialect and identity: a language ideology approach -- Land, labor, and language: the roots of Upper Peninsula English -- Sounding like a Yooper: the idea of a regional dialect -- What it means to be a Yooper: authentic locals and ideal speakers -- Yooperisms in tourism: selling the idea of a dialect -- Recognize and recycle: regional dialects in the media.
- 9780299312503 (cloth : alk. paper) and 029931250X (cloth : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 161-173) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 20541003