Figures of Edgar Allan Poe : authorship, antebellum literature, and transatlantic rhetoric / Gero Guttzeit
- Guttzeit, Gero
- Berlin : De Gruyter, 2017.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Buchreihe der ANGLIA = ANGLIA book series ; volume 56
- Acknowledgements; Abbreviations; Note on the Text; Introduction; Part I. Authorship, Antebellum Literature, and Transatlantic Rhetoric; 1 Towards a Rhetoric of Authorship: Theoretical, Poetical, and Performative Figures of the Author; 2 "Under the Ban of the Empire of Literature": Print Culture, the Rise of the Author, and the Transatlantic Dispersal of Rhetoric, 1776-1849; Part II. The Figures of Edgar Allan Poe; 3 "Letters of Recommendation": The Transatlantic Poet-Critic between the Rules of Rhetoric and Romantic Aesthetics
4 The Genius Rhetorician: The Rhetoric of "The Philosophy of Composition"5 "The Ingenuity of Unravelling": Abductive Powers and Rhetorical Inventors in the Tales of Ratiocination; 6 The Jingle-Man and the Damned Rhetorician: Poetry, Elocution, and the Political Rationale of Verse; 7 "The Only Proper Stage for the Literary Histrio": Delivery and its Dangers in the Antebellum Cultures of Rhetoric and Print; Concluding Remarks; Works Cited; Index of Names; Index of Subjects
- The Anglia Book Series (ANGB) offers a selection of high quality work on all areas and aspects of English philology. It publishes book-length studies and essay collections on English language and linguistics, on English and American literature and culture from the Middle Ages to the present, on the new English literatures, as well as on general and comparative literary studies, including aspects of cultural and literary theory.
- 311052015X (PDF)
- Dissertation Note:
- Ph.D. Justus Liebig-Universität Giessen 2014.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
View MARC record | catkey: 20543623