Terror in France : the rise of jihad in the west / Gilles Kepel with Antoine Jardin
- Language Note:
- In English; translated from the original French.
- Machine generated contents note: pt. I The Incubation Period: From Clichy to Sarkozy -- 1.2005, the Pivotal Year -- The Double Trigger for the Riots -- From Profanation to Blasphemy -- The Epochal Change of French Islam -- The Dialectic of Jihadism -- Jihad's First Terrains -- The Prison Incubator -- 2.From Muslims Voting to the Muslim Vote -- The "Muslim Vote" -- Economic Crash and Identitarian Reactions -- Soral and Islam against "American-Zionism" -- The Beginnings of the Muslim Vote -- Toward an Islamic Electoral Lobby -- Francois Hollande's Deceptive Victory -- 3.The Merah Affair in Context -- The Retrocolonial Backlash -- Artigat: From Hashish to Sharia -- The Extension of Cyber-Jihad -- Omar Omsen's Grand Narrative -- pt. II The Eruption: From Hollande to Charlie and the Batadan and Their Aftermath, 2012--2016 -- 4.French Jihad, Syrian Jihad -- Mehdi Nemmouche, Detainee and Jailer -- "Oh, my brothers in Allah from France!" -- The Lunel Paradigm -- The Eschatology of Jihad and Psychological War -- 5.The Reversals of the Muslim Vote -- The Rise in Unemployment and Inequality -- From Social Despair to Authoritarian Conservatism -- The Emergence of Traditionalist Islamic Groups -- Secularism as an Irritant -- Manifs pour Gaza and Jihad against the Jews -- 6.#CharlieCoulibaly -- "May Allah curse France!" -- To Be or Not to Be Charlie.
- In November 2015, ISIS terrorists massacred scores of people in Paris with coordinated attacks on the Bataclan concert hall, cafés and restaurants, and the national sports stadium. On Bastille Day in 2016, an ISIS sympathizer drove a truck into crowds of vacationers at the beaches of Nice, and two weeks later an elderly French priest was murdered during morning Mass by two ISIS militants. Here is Gilles Kepel's explosive account of the radicalization of a segment of Muslim youth that led to those attacks - and of the failure of governments in France and across Europe to address it. It is a book everyone in the West must read. Terror in France shows how these atrocities represent a paroxysm of violence that has long been building. The turning point was in 2005, when the worst riots in modern French history erupted in the poor, largely Muslim suburbs of Paris after the accidental deaths of two boys who had been running from the police. The unrest - or "French intifada" - crystallized a new consciousness among young French Muslims. Some have fallen prey to the allure of "war of civilizations" rhetoric in ways never imagined by their parents and grandparents. This is the highly anticipated English edition of Kepel's sensational French bestseller, first published shortly after the Paris attacks. Now fully updated to reflect the latest developments and featuring a new introduction by the author, Terror in France reveals the truth about a virulent new wave of jihadism that has Europe as its main target. Its aim is to divide European societies from within by instilling fear, provoking backlash, and achieving the ISIS dream - shared by Europe's Far Right - of separating Europe's growing Muslim minority community from the rest of its citizens. --
- 0691174849 (hardback)
- First published under the title Terreur dans l'Hexagone: Genèse du Djihad franc̜ais.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 20762851