The human tradition in the black Atlantic, 1500-2000 [electronic resource] / edited by Beatriz G. Mamigonian and Karen Racine
- Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield, c2010.
- Physical Description:
- vi, 229 p. ; 23 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Mamigonian, Beatriz G. (Beatriz Gallotti) 1969- and Racine, Karen, 1967-
- The human tradition around the world
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Introduction: People in the making of the Black Atlantic / Beatriz G. Mamigonian and Karen Racine -- Alonso de Illescas (1530s?-1590s) : African, Ladino, and Maroon Leader in colonial Ecuador / Charles Beatty Medina -- Gregoria López (1680s) : a Mexican mulata defends her honor / Aaron P. Althouse -- Philip Quaque (1741-1816) : African Anglican missionary on the Gold Coast / Ty M. Reese -- Harry Washington (1760s-1790s) : a Founding Father's slave / Cassandra Pybus -- Rufino José Maria (1820s-1850s) : a Muslim in the nineteenth-century Brazilian slave trade circuit / João Jośe Reis, Flávio dos Santos Gomes, and Marcus J.M. de Carvalho -- Buenaventura Lucumí (1820s-1872) : African slave, head of a household, and lottery winner in Cuba / Aisnara Perera Díaz and María de los Ángeles Meriño Fuentes -- Blaise Diagne (1872-1934) : Senegal's deputy to the French National Assembly / Hilary Jones -- Phyllis Ann Edmeade (1920s) : Caribbean migrant worker deported from the United States / Lorna Biddle Rinear -- C.L.R. James (1901-1989) : the Black Jacobin / Jerome Teelucksingh -- Robert Robinson (1930s) : celebrity worker in the USSR / Meredith L. Roman -- Vicente Ferreira Pastinha (1889-1981) : the Angolan tradition of capoeira / Maya Talmon-Chvaicer -- Malcolm X (1925?-1965) : a Pan-African revolutionary / Alan Bloom -- Romare Bearden (1911-1988) : artist, intellectual, activist / Sally Price and Richard Price.
- Blacks—Atlantic Ocean Region—Biography
- Blacks—Atlantic Ocean Region—History
- Blacks—Atlantic Ocean Region—Social conditions
- Blacks—Civil rights—Atlantic Ocean Region—History
- Slave trade—Atlantic Ocean Region—History
- Slavery—Atlantic Ocean Region—History
- Atlantic Ocean Region—Biography
- Atlantic Ocean Region—Race relations
- Atlantic Ocean Region—Social conditions
- 9780742567290 (cloth : alk. paper), 9780742567306 (pbk. : alk. paper), and 9780742567313 (electronic)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 20788432