Mate choice : the evolution of sexual decision making from microbes to humans / Gil G Rosenthal
- Rosenthal, Gil Guastoni, 1971-
- Princeton : Princeton University Press, 2017.
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 632 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm
- Part I. Mechanisms -- Mate choice and mating preferences: an overview -- Measuring preferences and choices -- The first steps in mate choice: preference functions and sensory transduction -- Beyond the periphery: perception, cognition, and multivariate preferences -- Aesthetics and evaluation in mate choice -- From preferences to choices: mate sampling and mating decisions -- Mate choice during and after mating -- Mutual mate choice -- Variation in preferences and choices: general considerations -- Variation I: genetics -- Variation II: biotic and abiotic environment -- Variation II: social environment and epigenetics -- Part 2. Origins, evolution, and consequences -- Origins and histories of mating preferences: chooser biases -- Selection on mate choice and mating preferences -- Dynamic evolution of preferences, strategies, and traits -- Mate choice, speciation, and hybridization -- Mate choice and human exceptionalism -- Conclusions: a mate-choice view of the world.
- 0691150672 and 9780691150673
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 505-616) and indexes.
View MARC record | catkey: 21044609