Football and the boundaries of history : critical studies in soccer / Brenda Elsey, Stanislao G. Pugliese, editors
- New York, NY : Palgrave Macmillan, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xx, 384 pages : illustrations (some color), color map ; 22 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Elsey, Brenda
Pugliese, Stanislao G., 1965-
Soccer as the Beautiful Game (Conference) (2014 : Hofstra University)
- Machine generated contents note: 1.Introduction: Marking the Field / Brenda Elsey -- pt. I Art Criticism -- 2.Drawing the Foul: Diving and Visuality in Contemporary English Football / Luke Healey -- 3.From Galactico to Head Butt: Globalization, Immigration and the Politics of Identity in Artistic Reproductions of Zidane / Daniel Haxall -- pt. II Collective Psychology and Group Identity -- 4.Soccer in the Shadow of Death: Propaganda and Survival in the Nazi Ghetto-Camp of Terezin / Kevin E. Simpson -- 5.In the Shadow of the State: The National Team and the Politics of National Identity in Spain / Jim O'Brien -- pt. III Political Science and International Relations -- 6.Beyond the Unfulfilled Promise of Soviet International Football, 1945--1991 / Mauricio Borrero -- 7.Post-colonial Outcomes: FIFA, Overseas Territory and National Identity / Steve Menary -- 8.The Hermit Kingdom versus the World: North Korea in the 2010 World Cup / Aaron D. Horton -- pt. IV Race and Ethnic Studies -- 9.Fausto dos Santos: The Wonders and Challenges of Blackness in Brazil's "Mulatto Football" / Roger Kittleson -- 10.Who Counts as a Real American? Dual Citizenship, Hybridity, and the U.S. Men's National Team / Jon D. Bohland -- pt. V Sexuality and Gender -- 11.Social Climbing, Cultural Experimentation and Trailblazing Metrosexual: Franz Beckenbauer in the 1960s and 1970s / Kay Schiller -- 12.Standing on Honeyball's Shoulders: A History of Independent Women's Football Clubs in England / Jean Williams -- pt. VI The State and Civil Society -- 13.Politics, Power and Soccer in Postwar Italy: The Case of Naples / Rosario Forlenza -- 14.The Politics of Football in Post-colonial Sierra Leone / Tamba E. M'bayo -- 15.The Competitive Party: The Formation and Crisis of Organized Fan Groups in Brazil, 1950--1980 / Bernardo Buarque de Hollanda -- pt. VII Philosophy and Critical Theory -- 16."Another World (Cup) Is Possible!": Twenty Theses About Modern Football / Tim Walters -- 17.On Virtue, Irony, and Glory: The Pitch and the People / Jason Burke Murphy.
- 9781349950058 (hardback)
- "Published under the auspices of Hofstra University."
"This collection of 17 essays grew out of an unprecedented three-day international conference, "Soccer as the Beautiful Game: Football's Artistry, Identity and Politics, " which took place in April 2014 at Hofstra University in anticipation of the World Cup"--Page v.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 21045755