Signs that sing : hybrid poetics in Old English verse / Heather Maring
- Maring, Heather, 1971-
- Gainesville, FL : University Press of Florida, 
- Physical Description:
- x, 221 pages ; 24 cm
- Introduction -- Hybrid poetics in Old English verse -- Metonymy, Gifre, Grædig, and a devouring-the-dead theme -- A lord-retainer theme -- Refiguring hybrid oral-literate signs -- Bright voice of praise : an Old English poet-patron theme -- A sea voyage in The dream of the rood -- Signifying the coming of Christ in The advent lyrics -- Afterword : signs that sing.
- Maring considers several types of Old English verse: oral poetry, with its simultaneity of composition, dissemination, and reception and dynamic of performance; written poetry and its reliance on intertextual referencing; and liturgical works, heavily laden with Christian meaning. Maring's project examines the expressive possibilities created by hybridization as well as how these expressions influence our interpretation of individual poems from the ninth to eleventh centuries.
- 9780813054469 hardcover alkaline paper
081305446X hardcover alkaline paper
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 21045967