From madman to crime fighter : the scientist in western culture / Roslynn D. Haynes
- Haynes, Roslynn D. (Roslynn Doris), 1940-
- Baltimore, Maryland : Johns Hopkins University Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xi, 407 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
- Introduction: Myths of science -- Evil alchemists and Doctor Faustus -- Bacon's new scientists -- Foolish virtuosi -- Newton: a scientist for God -- Arrogant and godless: scientists in eighteenth-century satire -- Inhuman scientists: the romantic perception -- Frankenstein and the creature -- Victorian scientists: doubt and struggle -- The scientist as adventurer -- Efficiency and power: the scientist under scrutiny -- The scientist as hero -- Mad, bad, and dangerous to know: reality overtakes fiction -- The impersonal scientist -- Scientia gratia scientiae: the amoral scientist -- Pandora's box -- Robots, cyborgs, androids and clones: who is in control? -- The scientist as woman -- Idealism and conscience -- Conclusion: New images of scientists.
- 9781421423043 paperback alkaline paper and 1421423049 paperback alkaline paper
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 21275950