JPRS Report. Near East & South Asia [electronic resource].
- [Arlington Va.] : [publisher not identified], 1989.
- Physical Description:
- 79 pages : tables
- Near East and South Asia (1987-1994) ; JPRS-NEA-89-039
- Freedom for Activists Requested From Gorbachev by Central Committee General Secretary Mikhail S. Gorbachev -- Stance of Diaspora Party on Karabakh Committee Scored -- Kuwaiti-Saudi Agreement on 'Divided Territory' -- Peace With Israel Described as "Between Governments" Only by Shafiq Maqar -- Gulf Air Reported to Double Fleet -- PLO, Israeli, U.S. Views on Election Proposals Discussed -- Palestinian Strategy, Response to Anti-Intifadah Measures by Sa'adah Sudah -- Election Proposal Assessed -- Faysal Al-Husayni Interviewed on Election Proposals by Palestinian Leader Faysal al-Husayni -- Faysal Al-Husayni Responds to Election Proposal by Palestinian Leader Faysal al-Husayni -- Disputes Emerge Within ANO Over Future Direction -- Popular Army Proclamation Issued in West Bank, Gaza -- PLO Funding for Intifadah Described -- Port Traffic Statistics for 1988 Reported -- Effect of Press Reform on Party Journals Analyzed by Ahmed Kada -- Agreement To Promote Industry Signed -- Island To Have a Court of Cassation -- Al-Baz Views Relations With Sudan, Ethiopia -- Ambassador to Moscow Views USSR Role in Region, Internal Reforms by Mr Ahmad Mahir al-Sayyid -- Navy Commander on Joint Exercises With French Fleet -- Hajjaj Elected President of USSR Trade Representatives -- Shaykh Al-Sha'rawi Praises Book Repudiating Rushdi's Book -- Ba'th Party Secretary Urges Syria To Withdraw by Dr 'Abd-al-Majid al-Rafi'i -- Major Moroccan Bank Seeks Additional African, International Markets -- Export, Production Statistics for Canned Fish Products Reported -- Organization of Private Sector Discussed by Meena Gunjvr -- Significant Industrial Growth in Private Sector Recorded -- Government Gas Pipeline Project Discussed -- Plan To Utilize Water Resources Formulated -- State Budget Ratified -- Equal Treatment for AGCC Nationals Decided -- Industrial Accomplishments, Balanced Economy Discussed -- Formation of 'People's Committee' by Abu-Mazin -- Idea Supported by Other Parties -- Central Bank Governor Discusses IMF Loans, Unemployment by Ismail Khelil -- Student Leaders Discuss University Conflict, Propose Solutions by Abdellatif Mekki, Hamadi El Euch -- Sources of Funding for Student Unions Questioned -- Rains Destroy Houses, Crops by Zaki Musa -- Barter Protocol Signed -- Trade Deficit With USSR by Hassan Abul Quashem -- Muslim League Concerned Over Indian Intelligence Actions -- Planning Commission Begins Work on Fourth Plan by Maozzem Hossain -- No Progress in Negotiations With India on Ganges Waters by Matiur Rahman -- Nation Seeks Bids From Foreign Oil Companies -- Refutation of U.S. Congressman's Press Release Noted by Warren Unna -- Namboodiripad on Soviet Changes, Indian Communists -- Namboodiripad Article Refutes Malkani Allegations by E.M.S. Namboodiripad -- RSS Said To Train Guns on Persecution of Hindus Abroad -- Subramaniam Swamy New Janata General Secretary -- CPI-M Official Armies Against Unity With CPI -- Rise in Foodgrains Production -- Science Council Report -- Writer Analyzes Changes in Cabinet Secretariat by K.K. Katyal -- Science Panel Asks Overhaul of S&T Management -- Party Leaders Said Inflaming Ethnic Tensions -- Sharif Attacked for Insensitivity To Plight of Women by Syed Akbar -- Question of Provincial Autonomy Examined by Mushtaq Ahmad -- Planners Said Out of Touch With 'Real World' by Kaleem Omar -- Over Half of Urbanities Said Living in Slums by Majid Sheikh -- Editorial Attacks U.S. for Silence Over Nepal -- Editorial Praises U.S. Stance on Aid -- Editorial Sees Democracy Threatened -- Commentary Questions Indian Motives by M. B. Naqvi -- Commentary Views Crisis in Punjab-Center Relations -- Commentary Urges End To Neglect of Northern Areas by Ashfaque Naqvi -- Commentary Calls for Effective Employment Policy by Mushtaq Ahmad -- Editorial Calls for Curb on American Videos -- Commentary Calls for Educational Reforms -- Editorial Urges Check in Population Explosion.
- Document Date: 6/6/1989.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Chester, Vt. : NewsBank, inc., 2013. Available via the World Wide Web. Access restricted to Readex Joint Publications Research Service (JPRS) Reports subscribers.
- Copyright 2013 by NewsBank, inc. All rights reserved.
View MARC record | catkey: 21278437