Buena Vista Social Club / Road Movies Filmproduktion presents ; a film by Wim Wenders ; a Road Movies production ; in association with Kintop Pictures, Arte, and ICAIC ; produced by Ry Cooder ; produced by Ulrich Felsberg and Deepak Nayar ; directed by Wim Wenders
- [New York, New York] : Criterion Collection, 
- Physical Description:
- 2 videodiscs (105 min.) : DVD video, sound, color ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 booklet
4 3/4 in. stamping
- Additional Creators:
- Wenders, Wim, Cooder, Ry, Felsberg, Ulrich, Nayar, Deepak, Widmer, Jörg, Segundo, Compay, Ochoa, Eliades, Ferrer, Ibrahim, 1927-2005, Portuondo, Omara, González, Rubén, 1919-2003, López, Orlando, 1933-2009, Valdés, Amadito, Mirabal Vázquez, Manuel, 1933-, Torres, Barbarito, Leyva, Pío, Licea, Manuel, 1927-2000, Marcos González, Juan de, Cooder, Joachim, Johnson, Brian (Film editor), Buena Vista Social Club (Musical group), Road Movies Filmproduktion, Kintop Pictures (Firm), Association relative à la télévision européenne, Instituto Cubano de Arte e Industria Cinematográfica, and Criterion Collection (Firm)
- Language Note:
- Spanish and English dialogue; sung in Spanish; with optional English SDH subtitles.
- In 1996, Ry Cooder went to Cuba, rediscovering talents of Cuba's foremost musicians and making a recording with them that sold millions and earned a Grammy Award. Cooder now returns to Cuba with filmmaker Wim Wenders to reveal the stories, personalities, and music of the performers who collaborated on that recording. Includes live performances in Amsterdam and at Carnegie Hall.
- Sound Characteristics:
- digital optical surround Dolby Digital 5.1
- Video File Characteristics:
- Digital File Characteristics:
- video file region 1
- Form of work:
- Motion pictures
- Originally released in 1999.
Program notes by Joshua Jelly-Schapiro (20 unnumbered pages : portraits) inserted in container.
Special features: audio commentary from 1999 featuring director Wim Wenders; December 2016 interview with Wenders; interview from 1998 interview for the television program Las claves with musician Compay Segundo on his career and the Cuban music scene; radio interviews from 2000 with Eliades Ochoa, Manuel "Puntillita" Licea, Orlando "Cachaíto" López, Manuel "Guajiro" Mirabal, Juan de Marcos González, Omara Portuondo, Ibrahim Ferrer, Barbarito Torres, Pío Leyva, Rubén González, Manuel Galbán, and Alberto "Virgilio" Valdés; additional scenes ("Candela," Amsterdam; Alberto Korda's photographs; interview with Juan de Marcos González; "Cienfuegos tiene su guaguancó," EGREM Studios); trailer.
- Creation/Production Credits Note:
- Editor, Brian Johnson ; director of photography, Jörg Widmer.
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Buena Vista Social Club; featuring Compay Segundo, Eliades Ochoa, Ry Cooder, Joachim Cooder, Ibrahim Ferrer, Omara Portuondo, Rubén González, Orlando "Cachaíto" López, Amadito Valdés, Manuel "Guajiro" Mirabal, Barbarito Torres, Pío Leyva, Manuel "Puntillita" Licea, Juan de Marcos González.
- Technical Details:
- DVD; region 1; NTSC; widescreen (1.78:1 aspect ratio); Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround.
View MARC record | catkey: 21315081