Revising the APA Ethics Code [electronic resource] / by Gerald Young
- Young, Gerald
- Cham : Springer International Publishing : Imprint: Springer, 2017.
- Physical Description:
- XV, 307 pages 67 illustrations, 50 illustrations in color : online resource
- Additional Creators:
- SpringerLink (Online service)
- Introduction to Revising the APA Ethics Code -- Comparing APA and CPA -- The Five Core and the Five Supplementary Ethical Principles and Their Sub-Principles -- Toward Revising the APA Ethics Code Standards -- Examining Standards, Domains, Principles, and Meta-Principles -- Three Commentaries on Ethics and on the APA Ethics Code -- Lessons from the 2017 AMA Medical Ethics Code -- Ethical Decision Making: Fallacies/Biases and Models -- Participatory Ethics, Psychological Co-Regulation, Recommendations.
- This integrative volume proposes major revisions to the APA ethics code and works toward creating an ethics code applicable across psychology, psychiatry, and related mental health professions. Careful analysis identifies theoretical and structural deficits in the principles and standards comprising the existing APA code, corrects its ambiguities, and provides scientific and compare-contrast illustrations to address current and potential controversies arising from current gray areas. Proposed revisions are informed by the American Medical Association, Canadian Psychological Association, and international ethics codes, emphasizing not only clearer language and diverse situations but also deeper conceptualizations of professional skills such as decision-making and client engagement. Ideally, the resulting universal code would be more inclusive of evolving ethical challenges in increasingly complex work environments and society. Included in the coverage: Comparison of the APA and CPA ethics codes. Proposing five core and five supplementary ethical principles and their sub-principles. Analyzing the APA’s ethical standards toward revising the APA ethics code. Elucidating new standards, domains, sub-domains, and meta-principles. Culling lessons from the 2017 AMA medical ethics code. Examining ethical decision-making: fallacies/biases and models. Proposing new concepts, such as participatory ethics and psychological co-regulation. Giving concrete and practical recommendations toward revising the APA ethics code and creating a universal mental health ethics code. An exhaustive text that spans clinical, research, teaching, and education domains, Revising the APA Ethics Code is essential reading for ethics scholars, practitioners, and the APA administrative and ethics committee hierarchies. These real-world guidelines will help ensure that the mental health professions remain both modern and moral. .
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
View MARC record | catkey: 21315881