Theories of reading development / edited by Kate Cain, Lancaster University, Donald L. Compton, Florida State University, Rauno K. Parrila, University of Alberta
- Amsterdam ; Philadelphia : John Benjamins Publishing Company, 
- Physical Description:
- vii, 534 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 25 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Cain, Kate
Compton, Donald L., 1960-
Parrila, Rauno K., 1961-
Stafura, Joseph Z.
Olson, Richard K.
Steacy, Laura M.
Ehri, Linnea C.
- Studies in written language and literacy ; volume 15
- Machine generated contents note: pt. I Big questions -- Introduction to big questions / Rauno K. Parrila -- Integrating word processing with text comprehension: Theoretical frameworks and empirical examples / Charles A. Perfetti -- Genetic and environmental influences on the development of reading and related skills / Stefan Samuelsson -- Early literacy across languages / Catherine McBride -- Learning to read alphasyllabaries / Sonali Nag -- Opening the "black box" of learning to read: Inductive learning mechanisms supporting word acquisition development with a focus on children who struggle to read / Donald L. Compton -- pt. II Typical development of word reading and underlying processes -- Introduction to word reading / Rauno K. Parrila -- Orthographic mapping and literacy development revisited / Linnea C. Ehri -- Putting the learning into orthographic learning / Anne Castles -- Orthographic learning is verbal learning: The role of spelling pronunciations / Peter F. de Jong -- Learning to read morphologically complex words / Devin M. Kearns -- Learning to read in a second language / Ludo Verhoeven -- pt. III Typical development of comprehension and underlying processes -- Introduction to reading comprehension / Rauno K. Parrila -- Vocabulary, morphology, and reading comprehension / Richard K. Wagner -- Reading comprehension: What develops and when? / Marcia A. Barnes -- Development of reading comprehension: Change and continuity in the ability to construct coherent representations / Panayiota Kendeou -- pt. IV Atypical reading development -- Introduction to atypical reading development / Kate Cain -- Early identification of reading disabilities / Hugh W. Catts -- Dyslexia and word reading problems / Athanassios Protopapas -- Children with specific text comprehension problems / Kate Cain -- pt. V Instruction and intervention -- Introduction to instruction and intervention / Kate Cain -- Starting from home: Home literacy practices that make a difference / Ashley Bildfell -- Early reading interventions: The state of the practice, and some new directions in building causal theoretical models / Emilie Cloutier -- Morphological instruction and literacy: Binding phonological, orthographic, and semantic features of words / Peter N. Bowers -- Reading comprehension instruction and intervention: Promoting inference making / Christine A. Espin -- Theoretically guided interventions for adolescents who are poor readers / Colby Hall -- Child characteristics by instruction interactions, literacy, and implications for theory and practice / Frederick J. Morrison.
- The use of printed words to capture language is one of the most remarkable inventions of humankind, and learning to read them is one of the most remarkable achievements of individuals. In recent decades, how we learn to read and understand printed text has been studied intensely in genetics, education, psychology, and cognitive science, and both the volume of research papers and breadth of the topics they examine have increased exponentially. 'Theories of Reading Development' collects within a single volume state-of-the-art descriptions of important theories of reading development and disabilities. The included chapters focus on multiple aspects of reading development and are written by leading experts in the field. Each chapter is an independent theoretical review of the topic to which the authors have made a significant contribution and can be enjoyed on its own, or in relation to others in the book.
- 9789027218117 hardcover alkaline paper
9027218110 hardcover alkaline paper
9789027265647 electronic book
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 21322786