The commercialisation of sport [electronic resource] / editor Trevor Slack
- Additional Titles:
- Commercialization of sport
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2004.
- Physical Description:
- xxx, 335 p. ; 25 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Slack, Trevor, 1948-2016
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- pt. 1. The sports industry: Sport in the late capitalist movement / David L. Andrews ; The sporting goods industry : from struggling entrepreneurs to national businesses to transnational corporations / George H. Sage ; Sports globalisation, the state and the problem of governance / Barrie Houlihan -- pt. 2. The public sector and the commercialisation of sport: Government subsidisation of Canadian professional sport franchises : a risky business / David Whitson, Jean Harvey and Marc Lavoie ; Private control of a civic asset : the winners and losers from North America's experience with four major leagues for professional team sport / Mark Rosentraub ; Partnerships between local government sport and leisure departments and the commercial sector : changes, complexities and consequences / Lucie Thibault, Lisa M. Kikulis and Wendy Frisby -- pt. 3. The commercialisation of "amateur" sport / Piercing the veil of amateurism : commercialisation, corruption and US college sports / Ellen J. Staurowsky ; Strategic responses to institutional pressures for commercialisation : a case study of an English Rugby Union club / Danny O'Brien and Trevor Slack ; Commercialisation of the modern Olympics / Tara Magdalinski and John Nauright -- pt. 4. Television and the commercialisation of sport: Media sport, globalisation and the challenges to commercialisation : sport advertising cultural resistance in Aotearoa/New Zealand / Steven J. Jackson, Andrew Grainger and Richard Batty ; Televised sport in a global consumer age / Michael Silk ; Media ownership of teams : the latest stage in the commercialisation of team sports / Bill Gerrard -- pt. 5. Sport sponsorship: "Money for nothing and your cheques for free?" : a critical perspective on sport sponsorship / Trevor Slack and John Amis ; Spectator sport's strange bedfellows : the commercial sponsorship of sporting events to promote alcohol, tobacco and lotteries / Stephen R. McDaniel, Daniel S. Mason and Lance Kinney ; Let the market decide : sport sponsorship and its implications for moral autonomy / Michael K. Mauws.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 21324167