Incorporating diversity [electronic resource] : rethinking assimilation in a multicultural age / edited by Peter Kivisto
- Boulder, Colo. : Paradigm Publishers, c2005.
- Physical Description:
- viii, 349 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Kivisto, Peter, 1948-
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- The revival of assimilation in historical perspective / Peter Kivisto -- Racial assimilation in secondary groups with particular reference to the Negro / Robert E. Park -- The American ethnic group / W. Lloyd Warner, Leo Srole -- Assimilation into the larger society / Tamotsu Shibutani, Kian M. Kwan -- American immigrant groups: ethnic identification and the problem of generations / Vladimir C. Nahirny, Joshua A. Fishman -- The nature of assimilation / Milton M. Gordon -- Is assimilation dead? / Nathan Glazer -- In defense of the assimilation model / Ewa Morawska -- Toward a reconciliation of "assimilation" and "pluralism": the interplay of acculturation and ethnic retention / Herbert J. Gans -- The melting and the pot: assimilation and variety in American life / Rubén G. Rumbaut -- Assimilation and dissimilation / J. Milton Yinger -- Race, religion, and nationality in American society: a model of ethnicity-from contact to assimilation / Elliot R. Barkan -- The new second generation: segmented assimilation and its variants / Alejandro Portes, Min Zhou -- Rethinking assimilation theory for a new era of immigration / Richard Alba, Victor Nee -- Migration and community formation under conditions of globalization / Stephen Castles -- Social spaces, transnational immigrant communities, and the politics of incorporation / Peter Kivisto -- Theorizing the "modes of incorporation": assimilation, hyphenization, and multiculturalism as varieties of civic participation / Jeffrey C. Alexander.
- 1594510806 (alk. paper)
9781594510809 (alk. paper)
1594510814 (pbk. : alk. paper)
9781594510816 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 21326169