Violence and belonging [electronic resource] : the quest for identity in post-colonial Africa / edited by Vigdis Broch-Due
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2005.
- Physical Description:
- x, 261 p. : 1 map ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Broch-Due, Vigdis
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Violence and belonging: analytical reflections / Vigdis Broch-Due -- "Nowadays they can even kill you for that which they feel is theirs": gender and the production of ethnic identity in Kikuyu-speaking Central Kenya / Amrik Heyer -- Conflicts in context: political violence and anthropological puzzles / Harri Englund -- Hunger, violence and the moral economy of war in Zimbabwe / Jocelyn Alexander, Jo Ann McGregor -- Violence and the boundaries of belonging: comparing two border disputes in the South African lowveld / Isak Niehaus -- Fertile moral links: reconsidering Barabaig violence / Astrid Blystad -- "Food itself is fighting with us": a comparative analysis of the impact of Sudan's civil war on South Sudanese civilian populations located in the North and the South / Sharon Elaine Hutchinson -- The politics of identity and the remembrance of violence: ethnicity and gender at the installation of a female chief in Zimbabwe / Björn Lindgren -- Double-voiced violence in Kenya / John G. Galaty -- Escape from genocide: the politics of identity in Rwanda's massacres / Johan Pottier -- Women and the politics of identity: voices in the South African Truth and Reconciliation Commission / Fiona C. Ross -- Ambiguous identities: the notion of war and "significant others" among the Tigreans of Ethiopia / Kjetil Tronvoll.
- 0415290066 (hdbk. : alk. paper), 0415290074 (pbk. : alk. paper), and 0203499972 (electronic : alk. paper)
- "Most of the chapters of this volume come from a larger collection of papers produced for a conference held in 2000 under the auspices of the Research Programme 'Poverty and Prosperity in Africa: Local and Global Perspectives' at the Nordic Africa Institute, Uppsala, Sweden"--Pref.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 21329689