The universal spelling-book, or, A new and easy guide to the English language [microform] : containing ... / by Daniel Fenning
- Fenning, Daniel
- Additional Titles:
- Universal spelling-book and New and easy guide to the English language
- London : Printed for J.P. Redwood, 1804.
- Physical Description:
- 156 pages : illustrations
- I. Tables of words in one, two, three, and four syllables, with natural and easy lessons in each, adapted to the capacity of children from three years old and upwards, and yet so full of sense, that such as can already read, may receive very material instruction from them, comprehending variety of passages both on moral and divine subjects, as also fables and pleasant stories, in order to improve the mind and the understanding -- II. A very easy and rational guide to English grammar (by way of question and answer), for the use of schools as well as private persons, by which any one may very soon become acquainted with the English tongue, with very little trouble and application -- III. A collection of near 5000 of the most useful words of two, three, and four syllables, viz. noun substantives, adjectives, and verbs (placed alphabetically under their respective heads) which are accented and explained for the better instruction of youth, and information of such persons as would know the meaning of what they read and write, being an useful instructor for the school, shop, or compting-house -- IV. Many useful things necessary to help the young beginner, and inform the more grown up youth, with a variety of alphabetical copies, and writing-pieces, both in prose and verse, &c. -- V. Chronological tables of the succession of the kings of England, and many of the most memorable occurrences in sacred and profane history, with some short remarks upon the seven stages of life, which are not only improving to the mind and morals, but may be of great service to prevent youth from falling a sacrifice to the common temptations of life and their own unbridled passions.
- Reproduction of original in the Bodleian Library.
- Reproduction Note:
- Microfiche. Ann Arbor, Mich., UMI, 1995. 2 microfiche. (Opie collection of children's literature ; 015:280).
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- Osborne Collection of early children's books, 1566-1910 I:119. and Opie. G 160.
View MARC record | catkey: 2139853