I know your kind : poems / William Brewer
- Brewer, William, 1989-
- Uniform Title:
- Poems. Selections
- Minneapolis, Minnesota : Milkweed Editions, 2017.
- Copyright Date:
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- 75 pages ; 22 cm.
- Machine generated contents note: Oxyana, West Virginia -- Icarus in Oxyana -- Halfway House Diary -- Clean Days in Oxyana -- For KC after Losing His Brother -- Oxy 40 -- Dog Days -- Voices as of Lions Coming Down -- To the Addict Who Mugged Me -- Early Oxyana: An Anecdote -- Daedalus in Oxyana -- We Burn the Bull -- Naloxone -- Leaving the Pain Clinic -- Sundowning -- Origin of Silence -- Withdrawal Dream amongst Spring Acreage -- Appalachia, Your Genesis -- My Somniloquist -- Overdose Psalm -- Resolution -- Detox Psalm -- What We Can Replace -- Withdrawal Dream with Feather and Knife -- In the New World -- West Virginia -- Halfway House Diary -- To His Enabler -- Withdrawal Dream on the Cape -- Against Enabling -- Playing Along -- Ode to Suboxone -- The Good News -- Letter in Response to a Letter from My Son -- Relapse Psalm -- In the Room of the Overdosed, an Ember -- The Messenger of Oxyana -- Explanation of Matter in Oxyana -- Today I Took You to Our Oxyana High School Reunion -- Ascent -- Oxyana, WV: Exit Song -- There Is a Gold Light.
- "I Know Your Kind is a haunting, blistering debut collection about the American opioid epidemic and poverty in rural Appalachia. In West Virginia, fatal overdoses on opioids have spiked to three times the national average. In these poems, William Brewer demonstrates an immersive, devastating empathy for both the lost and the bereaved, the enabled and the enabler, the addict who knocks late at night and the brother who closes the door. Underneath and among this multiplicity of voices runs the Appalachian landscape?a location, like the experience of drug addiction itself, of stark contrasts: beauty and ruin, nature and industry, love and despair. Uncanny, heartbreaking, and often surreal, I Know Your Kind is an unforgettable elegy for the people and places that have been lost to opioids"--Amazon.com.
- 9781571314956 (paperback ; alkaline paper)
1571314954 (paperback ; alkaline paper)
- Winner of the National Poetry Series, selected by Ada Limon.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 21587488