Cinderella ball : a look inside small-college basketball in West Virginia / Bob Kuska
- Kuska, Bob
- Lincoln : University of Nebraska Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xx, 289 pages, 17 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations ; 23 cm
- "For most of the twentieth century, West Virginia was a college basketball hotbed. For the last two decades, however, interest has waned, since changing demographics, rampant consumerism, and a rising sports TV empire have stolen the thunder of the small-town game. And yet, the teams of the West Virginia Intercollegiate Athletic Conference play on in obscurity, the last amateurs to endure grueling schedules of practice and play to earn a degree and win what little local glory remains in small-college basketball." "Against this dimming backdrop, Cinderella Ball tells the story of one small-college team's recent and improbable success. Following the day-to-day struggles and triumphs of little Alderson-Broaddus College in Philippi, West Virginia, over four increasingly amazing seasons, Cinderella Ball recreates the thrill of a scrappy, underfunded, unappreciated team of real-life "Hoosiers" - playing for love of the game and winning against the longest of odds. Alternating between coaches and players past and present, Bob Kuska shows us the game from the bleachers and from the court. As informative as it is dramatic, his close-up account of one team's unlikely rags-to-riches stretch also offers a unique perspective on the state of small-college basketball in America in the twenty-first century." --Book Jacket.
- 9780803213920 (pbk. ; alk. paper)
0803213921 (pbk. ; alk. paper)
- "A Bison original"--Page 4 of cover.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 285-289).
View MARC record | catkey: 21589290