Research methods for language teaching : inquiry, process and synthesis / Netta Avineri
- Avineri, Netta
- London : Palgrave Macmillan, 2017.
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xii, 235 pages ; 20 cm.
- Applied linguistics for the language classroom
- Section I. Inquiry -- How to ACE the research process -- The noun and the verb of the literature review -- Research questions and research design: concretizing inquiry -- Research ethics: reasons, roles, responsibilities and relationships -- Section II. Data collection -- Making questionnaires work for you -- Interviews, focus groups and reflections -- Case studies, ethnography and visual data -- Transcription: process and product -- Approaches to collection of quantitative data -- Section III. Data analysis -- Interpretive analysis of qualitative data -- Approaches to analysis of qualitative data -- Section IV. Bringing it all together -- Arguments, implications and communities of practice.
- An essential guide for pre-service and in-service English language teachers This book introduces a research-focused approach to language teaching, inviting learning and practicing teachers to engage in research relevant to their language teaching. While many research methods books are written from the point of view of a researcher instructing teachers, Research Methods for Language Teaching provides a hands-on approach that teachers themselves can employ to conduct research in diverse language classroom contexts. Accessibly written, and with the particular needs of language teachers in mind, this book introduces relevant terminology and concepts that are applicable to multiple contexts. Providing a summary of the pros and cons of various research methodologies, Research Methods for Language Teaching allows readers to select the most appropriate approaches for them. Reflections and activities throughout the book empower language teachers to conduct research in their own classrooms, and to join a vibrant community focused on inquiry.
- 1137563427 paperback
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 21589775