Maus II : a survivor's tale : and here my troubles began / Art Spiegelman
- Spiegelman, Art
- New York : Pantheon Books, 
- Copyright Date:
- 1st ed.
- Physical Description:
- 135 pages : chiefly illustrations ; 24 cm
- Mauschwitz -- Auschwitz (time flies) -- ...and here my troubles began ... -- Saved -- The second honeymoon.
- A memoir of Vladek Spiegleman, a Jewish survivor of Hitler's Europe, and about his son, a cartoonist who tries to come to terms with his father, his story, and history. Cartoon format portrays Jews as mice, Nazis as cats. Using a unique comic-strip-as-graphic-art format, the story of Vladek Spiegelman's passage through the Nazi Holocaust is told in his own words. Acclaimed as a "quiet triumph" and a "brutally moving work of art, " the first volume of Art Spiegelman's Maus introduced readers to Vladek Spiegelman. The story succeeds perfectly in shocking us out of any lingering sense of familiarity with the events described, approaching, as it does, the unspeakable through the diminutive. As the New York Times Book Review commented, "[it is] a remarkable feat of documentary detail and novelistic vividness...an unfolding literary event." This long-awaited sequel, subtitled And Here My Troubles Began, moves us from the barracks of Auschwitz to the bungalows of the Catskills. Genuinely tragic and comic by turns, it attains a complexity of theme and a precision of thought new to comics and rare in any medium. Maus ties together two powerful stories: Vladek's harrowing tale of survival against all odds, delineating the paradox of daily life in the death camps, and the author's account of his tortured relationship with his aging father. Vladek's troubled remarriage, minor arguments between father and son, and life's everyday disappointments are all set against a backdrop of history too large to pacify. At every level this is the ultimate survivor's tale--and that too of the children who somehow survive even the survivors.
- Spiegelman, Vladek—Comic books, strips, etc
- Spiegelman, Art—Comic books, strips, etc
- Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945)—Poland—Biography—Comic books, strips, etc
- Children of Holocaust survivors—United States—Biography—Comic books, strips, etc
- Holocaust survivors—United States—Biography—Comic books, strips, etc
- 0679729771 (pbk.)
- Related Titles:
- Maus 2.
And here my troubles began
- Cover title: And here my troubles began.
HHSL Graphic Medicine collection.
- Other Forms:
- Also issued online.
View MARC record | catkey: 2170775