Philosophical foundations of the cognitive science of religion : a head start / Robert N. McCauley, with E. Thomas Lawson
- McCauley, Robert N.
- London ; New York, NY : Bloomsbury Academic, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing Plc, 2017.
- Physical Description:
- xii, 179 pages ; 24 cm.
- Scientific studies of religion: inquiry and explanation
- Explanatory pluralism and the cognitive science of religion: or why scholars in religious studies should stop worrying about reductionism -- Interpretation and explanation: problems and promise in the study of religion -- Crisis of conscience, riddle of identity: making space for a cognitive approach to religious phenomena -- Who owns culture? -- Overcoming barriers to a cognitive psychology of religion -- Years in: landmark empirical findings in the cognitive science of religion.
- Robert N. McCauley and E. Thomas Lawson are considered the founders of the field of the cognitive science of religion. Since its inception over twenty years ago, the cognitive science of religion has raised questions about the philosophical foundations and implications of such a scientific approach. This volume from McCauley, including chapters co-authored by Lawson, is the first book-length project to focus on such questions, resulting in a compelling volume that addresses fundamental questions that any scholar of religion should ask. The essays collected in this volume are those that initially defined this scientific field for the study of religion. These essays deal with issues of methodology, reductionism, resistance to the scientific study of religion, and other criticisms that have been lodged against the cognitive science of religion. The new final chapter sees McCauley reflect on developments in this field since its founding. 97Tackling these debates head on and in one place for the first time, this volume belongs on the shelf of every researcher interested in this now established approach to the study of religion within a range of disciplines, including religious studies, philosophy, anthropology and the psychology of religion.
- 9781350030312 hardback, 1350030317 hardback, and 9781350030336 electronic publication
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 21834353