Tropical Seaweed Farming Trends, Problems and Opportunities [electronic resource] : Focus on Kappaphycus and Eucheuma of Commerce / edited by Anicia Q. Hurtado, Alan T. Critchley, Iain C. Neish
- Cham : Springer International Publishing : Imprint: Springer, 2017.
- Physical Description:
- XVI, 216 pages 106 illustrations, 3 illustrations in color : online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Hurtado, Anicia Q., Critchley, Alan T., Neish, Iain C., and SpringerLink (Online service)
- 1. Reflections on the commercial development of eucheumatoid seaweed farming -- 2. Biodiversity, biogeography and molecular genetics of the commercially important genera Kappaphycus and Eucheuma -- 3. Reproductive biology and eco-physiology of farmed Kappaphycus and Eucheuma -- 4. The Cultivation of Kappaphycus and Eucheuma in Tropical and Sub-tropical Waters -- 5. Micro-propagation of Kappaphycus and Eucheuma: Trends and prospects -- 5. Micro-propagation of Kappaphycus and Eucheuma: Trends and prospects -- 6. Impacts of AMPEP on epiphytes and diseases in Kappaphycus and Eucheuma cultivation -- 7. Impacts of climate change on Eucheuma-Kappaphycus farming -- 8.Post-harvest handling of eucheumatoid seaweeds -- 9. Economics of Kappaphycus spp. Seaweed farming with special reference to the central Philippines -- 10. arrageenan and more: Biorefinery approaches with special reference to the processing of Kappaphycus -- 11. Applications of carrageenan: With special reference to iota and kappa forms as derived from the Eucheumatoid seaweeds -- 12. Development of eucheumatoid seaweed value-chains through carrageenan and beyond -- 13. Carrageenan industry market overview.
- This book collates the latest information on Kappaphycus and Eucheuma seaweeds. The edited volume provides an important companion to anyone studying or working with what is the world’s largest cultivated marine plant biomass. The contributing authors have excelled in providing information on production and present and future uses of these carrageenan-bearing seaweeds. Important elements of taxonomy, distribution and methods of cultivation and processing are presented to the reader in an accessible and easily understood format. The book provides a number of valuable opinions on value addition and MUZE technologies which highlight value-chains associated with these important red algae.
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
View MARC record | catkey: 21836985