Signac : reflections on water / [exhibition curated and catalogue edited by] Marina Ferretti Bocquillon ; introduction by Marco Franciolli, Sylvie Wuhrmann and Marina Ferretti Bocquillon
- Genève : Skira ; Lugano : MASI, 
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- 191 pages : illustrations (chiefly color), portraits ; 29 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Bocquillon-Ferretti, Marina, Franciolli, Marco, Wuhrmann, Sylvie, Signac, Paul, 1863-1935, Museo d'arte della Svizzera italiana, and Fondation de l'Hermitage
- Machine generated contents note: Paul Signac, the Passion of a Family of Collectors / Marina Ferretti Bocquillon -- Paul Signac, a Life along the Water / Marina Ferretti Bocquillon -- Catalogue of Works -- Paul Signac, a Man of Convictions -- For the Sake of Colour, from Impressionism to Neo-Impressionism -- A Time of Harmony -- A Time of Travel -- Signac, Watercolourist and Nomad -- Appendix -- Chronology.
- Through a selection of over 140 works, this catalog offers a first approach to Paul Signac's color harmonies along with an invitation to travel. Paul Signac's career as a painter in love with color was just as intense as it was varied. Starting from one of the largest private collections of the artist's works, this publication illustrates his creative journey from his early impressionist paintings until his final watercolors from the Ports de France series, also including the heroic years of neo-impressionism, the splendor of Saint-Tropez, and the shimmering images of Venice, Rotterdam, and Constantinople. The virtuosity of the neo-impressionist master is also reflected in the diverse techniques he used: the ardor of Signac's impressionist debut is set off against the limpid polychromies of the divisionist paintings, the daring Japonisme of his watercolors contrasts with the freedom of the sheets painted en plein air, while his large Indian ink studies reveal the secrets of calm compositions, contemplated at length in his studio. Exhibition: Fondazione Museo d'arte della Svizzera Italiana, Lugano, Italy (04.09.2016 - 08.01.2017).
- Published on the occasion of an exhibition held at the Museo d'arte della Svizzera italiana, Lugano, September 3, 2016-January 8, 2017; previously held at the Fondation de l'Hermitage, Lausanne, January 29-May 22, 2016.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 188-191).
View MARC record | catkey: 21840929