Probability : a lively introduction / Henk Tijms
- Tijms, H. C.
- Cambridge ; New York, NY : Cambridge University Press, 2018.
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- x, 535 pages ; 23 cm
- Foundations of probability theory -- Conditional probability -- Discrete random variables -- Continuous random variables -- Jointly distributed random variables -- Multivariate normal distribution -- Conditioning by random variables -- Generating functions -- Additional topics in probability -- Discrete-time Markov chains -- Continuous-time Markov chains.
- Probability has applications in many areas of modern science, not to mention in our daily life. Its importance as a mathematical discipline cannot be overrated, and it is a fascinating and surprising topic in its own right . This engaging textbook with its easy-to-follow writing style provides a comprehensive, yet concise introduction to the subject. It covers all of the standard material for undergraduate and first-year-graduate-level courses as well as many topics that are usually not found in standard text - such as Bayesian inference, Markov chain Monte Carlo simulation, and Chernoff bounds.
- 9781108418744 hardcover alkaline paper, 1108418740 hardcover alkaline paper, 9781108407847 paperback alkaline paper, and 1108407846 paperback alkaline paper
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 21840957