Blood sport : A-Rod and the quest to end baseball's steroid era / Tim Elfrink and Gus Garcia-Roberts
- Elfrink, Tim
- Additional Titles:
- A-Rod and the quest to end baseball's steroid era
Alex Rodriguez and the quest to end baseball's steroid era
- New York : Plume, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xii, 468 pages : illustrations ; 21 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Garcia-Roberts, Gus
- Cast of Characters -- Prologue: Collateral Damage -- A cousin with a Rocket launcher -- Mystery Elixirs, Speed, and Steroids -- License to Dope -- Gurus of Growth hormone -- Steroid Spring Cleaning -- “Dr. G., You are the Best!” -- Inside the notebooks -- Bosch’s Shadow Empire -- “HS” -- Infiltrating the “U” -- MLB’s CIA: Enter the Spies -- The Beginning of the End -- A new Steroid Era Exposed -- Bad Cops -- A Snitch is Born -- Singled Out -- The “Farce” -- Epilogue: The Cost of War
- The effects of the Biogenesis case—the biggest drug scandal in the history of American sports—are still being felt today. Fifteen Major League Baseball players were suspended, including Yankees superstar Alex Rodriguez, who returns to the field in 2015, after his record season-long steroids ban. Ten men were indicted in federal court. And a new MLB commissioner was elected based on his role leading the response to the case. Now, Tim Elfrink—who broke that first story in the Miami New Times—joins forces with Pulitzer Prize finalist investigative reporter Gus Garcia-Roberts to tell the shocking full story behind the headlines. Blood Sport blows the lid off the most expensive scandal in the history of the game, and now includes a brand new epilogue revealing the stunning aftermath of the scandal and its effects for years to come -- Provided by publisher.
Describes how stolen ledgers revealed how the Florida clinic Biogenesis of America provided performance-enhancing drugs to professional baseball players, and discusses the resulting scandal and season-long suspension for Alex Rodriguez.
- 9780147516268 (pbk.)
- Ronald A. Smith Sports History Book Collection.
- "A Plume Book."
"First published in the United States of America by Dutton, a member of Penguin Group (USA) LLC, 2014"--Title page verso.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 22078533