Art and China after 1989 : theater of the world / Alexandra Munroe ; with Philip Tinari and Hou Hanru
- A Test Site / Alexandra Munroe -- Between Palimpsest and Teleology: The Problem of "Chinese Contemporary Art" / Philip Tinari -- Théâtre du monde: To Be Unthought / Hou Hanru -- Works / With entries by Hou Hanru, Katherine Grube, Alexandra Munroe, Lu Mingjun, Philip Tinari, Stephanie H. Tung, and Xiaorui Zhu-Nowell.
- Published on the occasion of the largest exhibition of contemporary art from China ever mounted in North America, organized by the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, 'Art and China after 1989: Theater of the World' explores recent experimental art from 1989 to 2008, arguably the most transformative period of modern Chinese and recent world history. Featuring over 150 iconic and lesser-known artworks by more than 70 artists and collectives, this catalog offers an interpretative survey of Chinese experimental art framed by the geopolitical dynamics attending the end of the Cold War, the spread of globalization and the rise of China. Critical essays explore how Chinese artists have been both agents and skeptics of China's arrival as a global presence, while an extensive entry section offers detailed analysis on works made in a broad range of experimental mediums, including film and video, ink, installation, land art and performance, as well as painting and photography. Exhibition: Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York, United States (06.10.2017 - 07.01.2018).
- 9780892075287 hardcover and 0892075287 hardcover
- Catalog of an exhibition at Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York from October 6, 2017-January 7, 2018; Guggenheim Museum, Bilbao from May 11-September 23, 2018; and San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, November 20, 2018-February 24, 2019.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 22078585