Environmental policy for business : a manager's guide to smart regulation / Martin Perry
- Perry, Martin, 1956-
- New York, New York (222 East 46th Street, New York, NY 10017) : Business Expert Press, 2015.
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (162 pages).
- Restrictions on Access:
- Access restricted to authorized users and institutions.
- 1. Environmental policy: government and business agendas -- 2. Good regulation -- 3. Information as regulation -- 4. Emission trading -- 5. Administering regulation -- 6. Implications for managers -- References -- Index.
- In the context of the worldwide concern with the sustainability of current forms of development, business managers are being required to engage with environmental policy more creatively than in the past. At the broadest level, business managers are being advised to embrace regulation as a source of competitive advantage rather than viewing it simply as a compliance cost and administrative burden. Irrespective of whether managers accept that "going beyond compliance" is a stimulus for innovation, business managers frequently face a policy environment in which choices need to be made over how policy agendas should be responded to. Contemporary policy approaches may mandate demonstration of best practice, without defining what constitutes best practice or use policy approaches that give the option of "paying for pollution" or investing in clean technology. Frequently, the argument is made that there are reputational gains to being a first mover and putting the organization ahead of regulation, but the implication can be considerable upfront investment for uncertain returns. Against this context, this book provides a guide to the new world of environmental regulation for managers within business and students with a particular interest in understanding how environmental regulation works.
- Other Subject(s):
- 9781606496718 e-book
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 147-157) and index.
- Other Forms:
- Also available in print.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
System requirements: Adobe Acrobat reader.
View MARC record | catkey: 22080181