In search of Bawa : master architect of Sri Lanka / David Robson ; photography, Sebastian Posingis
- Colombo, Colpetty -- The Beira Lakes and Union Place -- Cinnamon Gardens -- Outer Colombo -- The north and centre -- The south coast -- The west coast.
- This book answers some important questions about Geoffrey Bawa, Sri Lanka's pre-eminent architect, and his legacy. A sizable introduction to Bawa's world, life, education and work is reviewed by eminent Bawa scholar, David Robson. This precedes a site-by-site tour of 45 of his buildings scattered throughout Sri Lanka, Many are considered "pilgrimage sites" by up-and-coming architects, designers and lay people interested in his extraordinary and enduring talent. Insightful texts, contemporary and archive photographs and a plethora of drawings illustrate the individual buildings that range from private dwellings to public buildings, schools and hotels. Each is representative of Bawa's pioneering work on tropical modernism. The book ends with a brief section on buildings that have been transformed, lost or are at risk for one reason or another.
- 9781780679136 and 1780679130
- STUDY OF 44 BAWA BUILDINGS IN SRI LANKA. COLOR ILLUS. THROUGHOUT. CO-PUB. W/ TALISMAN PTE.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (page 144).
View MARC record | catkey: 22087699