Pop art and design / edited by Anne Massey and Alex Seago
- London, UK ; New York, NY, USA : Bloomsbury Academic, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing Plc, 2018.
- Physical Description:
- 208 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Massey, Anne, 1956- and Seago, Alex
- Introduction / Anne Massey and Alex Seago -- 1. Popular art, Pop Art, and 'the boys who turn out the fine arts' / Catherine Moriarty -- 2. Cecil Beaton, Richard Hamilton and the Queer, Transatlantic Origins of Pop Art / Dominic Janes -- 3. Althea McNish and the British African diaspora / Christine Checinska -- 4. Programming Pop Art and Design / Anne Massey -- 5. ARK Magazine: the Royal College of Art and early British Art School Pop / Alex Seago -- 6. Prologue to Edward Wright, 'Chad, Kilroy, the cannibal's footprint and the Mona Lisa' first published in ARK 19 (Spring 1957) / Ann Pillar -- Facsimile of article / Edward Wright -- 7. Pauline Boty: Pop Artist, pop persona, performing across the 'long front of culture' / Sue Tate -- 8. A Dedicated Follower of Fashion' / Alistair O'Neill -- 9. 'Where is this pop?' In Search of the British Pop Poster / Rick Poynor and Alex Seago.
- "This book offers the first in-depth analysis of the relationship between art and design, which led to the creation of 'pop'. Challenging accepted boundaries and definitions, the authors seek out various commonalities and points of connection between these two exciting areas. Confronting the all-pervasive 'high art / low culture' divide, Pop Art and Design brings a fresh understanding of visual culture during the vibrant 1950s and 60s. This was an era when commercial art became graphic design, illustration was superseded by photography and high fashion became street fashion, all against the backdrop of a rapidly-evolving economic and political landscape, a glamorous youth scene and an effervescent popular culture. The book's central argument is that pop art relied on and drew inspiration from pop design, and vice versa. Massey and Seago assert that this relationship was articulated through the artwork, design, publications and exhibitions of a network of key practitioners. Pop Art and Design provides a case study in the broader inter-relationship between art and design, and constitutes the first interdisciplinary publication on the subject"--
- 9781474226189 paperback
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 22091624