Addressing violence against women on college campuses / edited by Catherine Kaukinen, Michelle Hughes Miller, and Ráchael A. Powers
- Exhibits and Figures -- Preface -- Acknowledgments -- 1. Violence Against College Women: Unfortunately, It Is Not a New Problem / Catherine Kaukinen, Ráchael A. Powers, and Michelle Hughes Miller -- Part I. The Extent, Nature, and Causes of Violence Against Women on College Campuses -- 2. Sexual Violence Against College Women: An Overview / Callie Marie Rennison, Catherine Kaukinen, and Caitlyn Meade -- 3. Intimate Partner Violence on College Campuses / Ráchael A. Powers and Catherine Kaukinen -- 4. Stalking on College Campuses / Matt R. Nobles and Kate Fox -- 5. Explaining Campus Violence Against Women: Unhealthy Masculinity and Male Peer Support / Walter S. DeKeseredy -- 6. Alcohol-Related Sexual Assault on College Campuses: A Continuing Problem / Antonia Abbey -- Part II. Addressing Violence Against Women on College Campuses: Legislation and Federally Mandated Action -- 7. From Sexual Harassment to Sexual Violence: The Evolution of Title IX's Response to Sexual Victimization / Michelle Hughes Miller -- 8. The Reauthorized Violence Against Women Act: The Campus SaVE Act and Its Mandates / Michelle Hughes Miller and Sarah L. Cook -- 9. The White House Task Force Report on Sexual Violence on College Campuses / Catherine Kaukinen -- 10. The (Re)Organization of Campus Responses / Carmen Suarez -- 11. Title IX and Mandatory Reporting: A Help or a Hindrance? / Helen Eigenberg and Joanne Belknap -- 12. Campus-Based Victim Advocacy Centers / Ráchael A. Powers, Alesha Cameron, and Christine Mouton -- Part III. Preventing Violence through Knowledge, Education, and Changing Cultural Norms -- 13. Campus Climate Surveys / Christine Lindquist and Christopher P. Krebs -- 14. Active Bystander Intervention / Sarah McMahon -- 15. Engaging Men in Anti-Violence Against Women Efforts on College Campuses / Ráchael A. Powers and Jennifer Leili
16. Student Activism / Ava Blustein -- Part IV. Preventing Violence Against Women on Campus: Current Challenges and Future Opportunities -- 17. Title IX Investigations and "Rehabilitated Schools" / Meredith M. Smith -- 18. Managing the Backlash / Helen Eigenberg, Stephanie Bonnes, and Joanne Belknap -- Conclusion: Where Do We Go from Here? / Michelle Hughes Miller, Catherine Kaukinen, and Ráchael A. Powers -- Contributors -- Index.
- "Violence against women on college campuses has remained underreported and often under addressed by both campus security and local law enforcement, as well as campus administrators. The researchers, practitioners, and activists who contribute to this pertinent volume Addressing Violence Against Women on College Campuses examine the extent, nature, dynamic and contexts of violence against women at institutions of higher education. This book is designed to facilitate an ongoing discussion and provide direction on how best to prevent and investigate violence against women, and intervene to assist victims while reducing the impact of these crimes. Chapters detail the necessary changes and implications that are part of Title IX and other federal legislation and initiatives as well as the effect these changes have had for higher education actors, including campus administrators, victim advocates, and student activists. The contributors also explore the importance of campus efforts to estimate the extent of violence against women; educating young men and women on the nature of sexual and dating violence; and shifting efforts to both make offenders accountable for their crimes and prompt all bystanders to act."--book description, Amazon.com.
- 9781439913758 (cloth ; alk. paper)
1439913757 (cloth ; alk. paper)
9781439913765 (pbk. ; alk. paper)
1439913765 (pbk. ; alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment (Campus College Libraries) ; 2018
View MARC record | catkey: 22093996