19th-century fashion in detail / Lucy Johnston ; with Marion Kite and Helen Persson ; photographs by Richard Davis ; drawings by Leonie Davis
- Johnston, Lucy (Lucy Anne)
- Additional Titles:
- Nineteenth-century fashion in detail
- New York, New York : Thames & Hudson Inc. ; London : V&A Publishing, 2016.
- Copyright Date:
- Revised and expanded edition.
- Physical Description:
- 240 pages : illustrations (chiefly colour) ; 29 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Kite, Marion
Davis, Richard, 1960-
Victoria and Albert Museum
- Construction techniques -- Tailoring -- Trimmings -- Printed and woven textiles -- Embroidery -- Buttons and fastenings -- Innovations -- Collars, sleeves and pockets -- Accessories.
- This sumptuously illustrated book reveals the decorative seams, refined stitching, voluptuous drapery, strict corseting and slashing and stamping that make up some of the garments in the V&A's superlative 19th-century fashion collection. With an authoritative text, exquisite colour photography of garment details and line drawings showing the complete construction of each piece, it gives the reader a unique opportunity to examine historical clothing that is often too fragile to be on display. It is an inspirational resource for students, collectors, designers and anyone who is fascinated by fashion and clothing.
- 9780500292648 (paperback)
- "First published in the United Kingdom in 2005 by the Victoria and Albert Museum, London"--Title page verso.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (page 238) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 22094425