Between slavery and freedom [electronic resource] : free people of color in America from settlement to the Civil War / Julie Winch
- Winch, Julie, 1953-
- Lanham, Maryland : Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc., 
- Physical Description:
- xix, 151 pages, 15 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- The African American history series
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Introduction : "On liberty's borderlands -- Property or persons: black freedom in colonial America, 1513-1770 -- In liberty's cause: black freedom in revolutionary America, 1770-1790 -- Race, liberty and citizenship in the new nation, 1790-1820 -- "We will have our rights": redefining black freedom, 1820-1850 -- "No rights which the white man was bound to respect": black freedom and black citizenship, 1850-1861 -- Epilogue : black freedom, white freedom.
- 9780742551145 (cloth : alk. paper) and 9780742551152 (electronic)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 22102372