The teaching and learning of Arabic in early modern Europe [electronic resource] / edited by Jan Loop, Alastair Hamilton, Charles Burnett
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 2017.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Loop, Jan, Hamilton, Alastair, 1941-, and Burnett, Charles (Charles S. F.)
- The history of Oriental studies ; volume 3
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Introduction / Jan Loop -- Arabic studies in the Netherlands and the prerequisite of social impact: a survey / Arnoud Vrolijk -- Learning Arabic in early-modern England / Mordechai Feingold -- Johann Zechendorff (1580-1662) and Arabic studies in Zwickau's Latin school / Asaph Ben-Tov -- Arabia in the light of the midnight sun: Arabic studies in Sweden: between Gustaf Peringer Lillieblad and Jonas Hallenber / Bernd Roling -- Sacred history, sacred languages: the question of Arabic in early modern Spain / Mercedes Garcia-Arenal and Fernando Rodriguez Mediano -- The teaching and learning of Arabic in Salamanca in the early modern period / Nuria Martinez-de-Castilla-Munoz -- Teaching and learning Arabic in early modern Rome: shaping a missionary language / Aurelien Girard -- The Qur'an as chrestomathy in early modern Europe / Alastair Hamilton -- Arabic poetry as teaching material in early modern grammars and textbooks / Jan Loop -- Learning to write, read and speak Arabic outside of early modern universities / Sonja Brentjes -- Learning Arabic in the overseas factories: the case of the English / Simon Mills -- Learning oriental languages in the Ottoman Empire: Johannes Heyman (1667-1737) between Izmir and Damascus / Maurits H. van den Boogert -- The life and hard times of Solomon Negri: an Arabic teacher in early modern Europe / John-Paul Ghobrial.
- 9789004338623 (E-book) and 9789004328143 (hardback : alk. paper)
- Based on a conference held on 16 November 2013 at the National Museum of Antiquities (Rijksmuseum van Oudheden, RMO), in Leiden.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 22109131