Other pasts : women, gender and history in early modern Southeast Asia / edited by Barbara Watson Andaya
- Additional Titles:
- Women, gender and history in early modern Southeast Asia
- Honolulu : Center for Southeast Asian Studies, University of Hawai'i at Mânoa, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xviii, 347 pages : map ; 24 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Andaya, Barbara Watson
- Introduction / Barbara Watson Andaya -- 1. The Bissu: study of a third gender in Indonesia / Leonard Y. Andaya -- 2. Introductory remarks between the lines: writing histories of Middle Cambodia / Ashley Thompson -- 3. From animist "priestess" to Catholic priest: the re/gendering of religious roles in the Philippines, 1521-1685 / Carolyn Brewer -- 4. Imagining women in Javanese religion: goddesses, ascetes, queens, consorts, wives / Ann Kumar -- 5. Bringing Tun Kudu out of the shadows: interdisciplinary approaches to understanding the female presence in the Sejarah Melayu / Ruzy Hashim -- 6. Inside the inner court: the world of women in Balinese Kidung poetry / Helen Creese -- 7. Pants, skirts and pulpits: women and gender in seventeenth-century Amboina / Gerrit Knaap -- 8. Slavery, ethnicity and the economic independence of women in seventeenth-century Batavia / Hendrik E. Niemeijer -- VOC employees and their relationships with Mon and Siamese women: a case study of Osoet Pegua / Dhiravat na Pombejra -- 10. Gender, state and history: the literati voice in Vietnam / John Whitmore -- 11. Dilineating female space: seclusion and the state in pre-modern island Southeast Asia / Barbara Watson Andaya -- 12. From a water buffalo to a human being: women and the family in Siamese history / Junko Koizumi.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 269-338) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 2214760