Notes for clarinetists : a guide to the repertoire / Albert R. Rice
- Rice, Albert R.
- New York : Oxford University Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xv, 281 pages : illustrations, music ; 24 cm.
- Notes for performers
- Arthur Benjamin, Le tombeau de Ravel : valse-caprices for clarinet and piano -- Alban Berg, Four pieces for clarinet and piano, op. 5 -- Luciano Berio, Sequenza IXa for clarinet solo -- Leonard Bernstein, Sonata for clarinet and piano -- Pierre Boulez, Domaines for clarinet alone -- Johannes Brahms, Sonata for clarinet and piano, op. 120, no. 1 -- Johannes Brahms, Sonata for clarinet and piano, op. 120, no. 1 -- Aaron Copland, Concerto for clarinet, string orchestra, harp, and piano -- Bernhard Henrik Crusell, Concerto for clarinet and orchestra, op. 5 -- Claude Debussy, Première rhapsodie for clarinet and piano -- Gerald Finzi, Five Bagatelles for clarinet and piano, op. 23 -- Jean Françaix, Concerto for clarinet and orchestra -- Paul Hindemith, Sonata for clarinet and piano -- Franz Krommer, Concerto for clarinet and orchestra, op. 36 -- Jean-Xavier Lefèvre, Sonata for clarinet and bass, op. 12, no. 1 -- Witold Lutosławski, Dance preludes for clarinet and piano -- Donald Martino, A set for clarinet unaccompanied -- Bohuslav Martinů, Sonatina for clarinet and piano -- Darius Milhaud, Sonatina for clarinet and piano, op. 100 -- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Concerto for clarinet and orchestra, K. 622 -- Robert Muczynski, Time pieces for clarinet and piano, op. 43 -- Carl Nielsen, Concerto for clarinet and orchestra, op. 57 -- Krzysztof Penderecki, Three miniatures for clarinet and piano -- Francis Poulenc, Sonata for clarinet and piano -- Max Reger, Sonata for clarinet and piano, op. 107 -- Gioachino Rossini, Introduction, theme & variations for clarinet & orchestra -- Archduke Rudolph of Austria, Sonata for clarinet and piano, op. 2 -- Camille Saint-Saëns, Sonata for clarinet and piano, op. 162 -- Robert Schumann, Fantasy pieces for clarinet and piano, op. 73 -- William O. Smith, Variants for solo clarinet -- Louis Spohr, Concerto for clarinet and orchestra, op. 26 -- Johann Stamitz, Concerto for clarinet and orchestra -- Karlheinz Stockhausen, Der Kleine Harlekin für Klarinette, Werk Nr. 42 1/2 -- Igor Stravinsky, Three pieces for clarinet solo -- Antoni Szalowki, Sonatina for clarinet and piano -- Carl Maria von Weber, Grand duo concertant for clarinet and piano, op. 48.
- Notes for Clarinetists: A Guide to the Repertoire offers important historical and analytical information about thirty-five of the best-known pieces written for the instrument. Numerous contextual and theoretical insights make it an essential resource for professional, amateur, and student clarinetists. With engaging prose supported by fact-filled analytical charts, the book offers rich biographical information and informative analyses to help clarinetists gain a more complete understanding of Three Pieces for Clarinet Solo by Igor Stravinsky, Aaron Copland's Concerto for Clarinet, String Orchestra, Harp, and Piano, Robert Schumann's Fantasy Pieces for Clarinet and Piano, Op. 73. and Time Pieces for Clarinet and Piano, Op. 43. by Robert Muczynski, among many others. With close attention to matters of context, style, and harmonic and formal analysis, Albert Rice explores a significant portion of the repertoire, and offers a faithful and comprehensive guide that includes works by Boulez, Brahms, and Mozart to Hindemith, Poulenc, and Stamitz. Rice includes biographical information on each composer and highlights history's impact on the creation and performance of important works for clarinet. Intended as a starting point for connecting performance studies with scholarship, Rice's analysis will help clarinetists gain a more complete picture of a given work. Its valuable insights make it essential to musicians preparing and presenting programs, and its detailed historical information about the work and composer will encourage readers to explore other works in a similarly analytical way. Covering concertos, chamber pieces, and works for solo clarinet, Rice presents Notes for Clarinetists as an indispensable handbook for students and professionals alike. --
- 9780190205201 (hardcover alkaline paper)
9780190205218 (paperback alkaline paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 259-277) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 22348959