Making things and drawing boundaries : experiments in the digital humanities / Jentery Sayers, editor
- Minneapolis : University of Minnesota Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 347 pages : illustrations ; 26 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Sayers, Jentery, 1978-
- Debates in the digital humanities, 2380-5935
- Machine generated contents note: pt. I Making and the Humanities -- 1.The Boundary Work of Making in Digital Humanities / Julie Thompson Klein -- 2.On the "Maker Turn" in the Humanities / David Staley -- 3.Project Snapshot: Vibrant Lives Presents The Living Net -- 4.A Literacy of Building: Making in the Digital Humanities / Bill Endres -- 5.Project Snapshot: MashBOT -- 6.Making Humanities in the Digital: Embodiment and Framing in Bichitra and Indiancine.ma / P. P. Sneha -- pt. II Made by Whom? For Whom? -- 7.Making the RA Matter: Pedagogy, Interface, and Practices / Joseph Takeda -- 8.Reproducing the Academy: Librarians and the Question of Service in the Digital Humanities / Roxanne Shirazi -- 9.Looks Like We Made It, But Are We Sustaining Digital Scholarship? / Lisa Tweten -- 10.Full Stack DH: Building a Virtual Research Environment on a Raspberry Pi / James Smithies -- 11.Project Snapshot: Mic Jammer -- 12.The Making of a Digital Humanities Neo-Luddite / Marcel O'Gorman -- 13.Project Snapshot: Made: Technology on Affluent Leisure Time -- 14.Reifying the Maker as Humanist / Diane Jakacki -- 15.All Technology Is Assistive: Six Design Rules on Disability / Sara Hendren -- pt. III Making as Inquiry -- 16.Thinking as Handwork: Critical Making with Humanistic Concerns / Matt Ratto -- 17.Project Snapshot: Bibliocircuitry and the Design of the Alien Everyday, 2012--13 -- 18.Doing History by Reverse Engineering Electronic Devices / William J. Turkel -- 19.Electronic Music Hardware and Open Design Methodologies for Post-Optimal Objects / Ezra Teboul -- 20.Project Snapshot: Glitch Console -- 21.Creative Curating: The Digital Archive as Argument / Nora Dimmock -- 22.Reading Series Matter: Performing the Spoken Web Project / Alexander Flamenco -- 23.Project Snapshot: Loss Sets -- 24.Dialogic Objects in the Age of 3-D Printing: The Case of the Lincoln Life Mask / Susan Garfinkel -- pt. IV Making Spaces and Interfaces -- 25.Feminist Hackerspaces: Hacking Culture, Not Devices (the zine!) / Daniela K. Rosner -- 26.Project Snapshot: Fashioning Circuits, 2011--Present -- 27.Making Queer Feminisms Matter: A Transdisciplinary Makerspace for the Rest of Us / Melissa Rogers -- 28.Project Snapshot: Movable Party -- 29.Disrupting Dichotomies: Mobilizing Digital Humanities with the MakerBus / Ryan Hunt -- 30.Project Snapshot: Designs for Foraging: Fruit Are Heavy, 2015--16 -- 31.Experience Design for the Humanities: Activating Multiple Interpretations / Jennifer Roberts-Smith -- 32.Project Snapshot: AIDS Quilt Touch: Virtual Quilt Browser -- 33.Building Humanities Software That Matters: The Case of the Ward One Mobile App / Duncan A. Buell -- 34.Placeable: A Social Practice for Place-Based Learning and Co-Design Paradigms / Amy Papaelias -- 35.Making the Model: Scholarship and Rhetoric in 3-D Historical Reconstructions / Lisa M. Snyder -- pt. V Making, Justice, Ethics -- 36.Beyond Making / Debbie Chachra -- 37.Making It Matter / J. K. Purdom Lindblad -- 38.Ethics in the Making / Trisha N. Campbell.
- In Making Things and Drawing Boundaries, critical theory and cultural practice meet creativity, collaboration, and experimentation with physical materials as never before. Foregrounding the interdisciplinary character of experimental methods and hands-on research, this collection asks what it means to make things in the humanities. How is humanities research manifested in hand and on screen alongside the essay and monograph? And, importantly, how does experimentation with physical materials correspond with social justice and responsibility? Comprising almost forty chapters from ninety practitioners across twenty disciplines, Making Things and Drawing Boundaries speaks directly and extensively to how humanities research engages a growing interest in makerculture, however making may be defined.
- 9781517902841 (hc)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 22353956