Composer-critics of the New York Herald Tribune / Paul Bowles, Lou Harrison, Virgil Thomson, Peggy Glanville-Hicks, John Cage
- San Francisco, CA : Other Minds Records, ℗2017.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (1 sound file)
- Additional Creators:
- Glazer, David, Mueller, Herbert C., Bailey, Elden C., Masselos, William, Barab, Seymour, Lawrence, Lucile, 1907-2004, Crawford, Joseph (Vocalist), Turner, Clyde S., James, Joseph (Vocalist), Smith, William C. (Vocalist), Thomson, Virgil, 1896-1989, Bussotti, Carlo, Surinach, Carlos, Bowles, Paul, 1910-1999, Harrison, Lou, 1917-2003, Glanville-Hicks, Peggy, Cage, John, New York Percussion Group, and New Music String Quartet
- Music for a farce / Paul Bowles (David Glazer, clarinet ; Herbert C. Mueller, trumpet ; Elden C. Bailey, percussion ; William Masselos, piano) (11:57) -- Suite for cello and harp / Lou Harrison (Seymour Barab, cello ; Lucille Lawrence, harp) (10:48) -- Capital capitals / Virgil Thomson ; text by Gertrude Stein (Joseph Crawford, Clyde S. Turner, tenors ; Joseph James, baritone ; William C. Smith, bass ; Virgil Thomson, piano) (17:16) -- Sonata for piano and percussion / Peggy Glanville-Hicks (Carlo Bussotti, piano ; New York Percussion Group ; Carlos Surinach, conductor) (9:34) -- String quartet in four parts / John Cage (New Music String Quartet) (22:34) and Contents of booklet: The New York Herald Tribune composer-critics / by Charles Amirkhanian -- The paper / by Vigil Thomson -- The art of judging music / by Virgil Thomson -- Notes on the music / by Charles Amirkhanian -- Composer biographical notes -- Original album covers -- Track listings -- Image credits.
- Related Titles:
- New York herald tribune
- Sound Characteristics:
- Digital File Characteristics:
- audio file
- Music by composers who once made their living as music critics for the New York Herald Tribune.
"Originally released as part of Columbia Records' Modern American music series between 1953 and 1955."
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Various performers.
View MARC record | catkey: 22603033