Towards Healthy and Sustainable Diets [electronic resource] : Perspectives and Policy to Promote the Health of People and the Planet / by Sirpa Sarlio
- Sarlio, Sirpa
- Cham : Springer International Publishing : Imprint: Springer, 2018.
- Physical Description:
- VIII, 85 pages 6 illustrations in color : online resource
- Additional Creators:
- SpringerLink (Online service)
- I. "Sustainability is more than just reducing greenhouse emissions" Different perspectives to healthy and sustainable diets -- II. "Who wasted our food?" Towards better balance -- III. "Insects, aquaculture, and mycoproteins instead of beef tomorrow?" Choosing for healthy and sustainable meals -- IV. "Are ecological products really healthier and more sustainable?" Reshaping our food production -- V. "We need to make commitments and guidelines for healthy AND sustainable diets" Getting nutrition and sustainability into the agendas of consumers and decision makers.
- This clear-sighted volume synthesizes wide-ranging knowledge of human food consumption, food production systems, and sustainability to offer methods of improving the impact of food choices on people and the environment. The comprehensive coverage addresses myriad challenges and paradoxes (e.g., health-conscious food choices that put greater stress on the planet, hunger amidst plenty) associated with the production of sustainable, nutritious food. Direct and complex links between local and global issues are highlighted in innovative approaches to transforming food production from the farm to the table and from the policy desk to the real world. Chapters identify, examine, and offer realistic recommendations for achieving critical goals, among them: Supporting healthy people and communities within planetary boundaries Reduction and prevention of food waste Combining health and sustainability on the plate “Serving sustainable and healthy food to consumers and decision makers”: from commitment to action. Investing in healthier and more sustainable production. Ensuring a healthy sustainable diet is a goal of all public policies. Towards Healthy and Sustainable Diets is geared toward professionals and policymakers dealing with food, nutrition, and environmental topics seeking new perspectives on longstanding issues in these interrelated areas. It also makes a suitable reference for students studying and conducting research in these areas.
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Part Of:
- Springer eBooks
View MARC record | catkey: 22605400