(Re)imagining elementary social studies : a controversial issues reader / edited by Sarah B. Shear, Christina M. Tschida, Elizabeth Bellows, Lisa Brown Buchanan, Elizabeth E. Saylor
- Additional Titles:
- Reimagining elementary social studies
- Charlotte, NC : Information Age Publishing, INC., 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xxvi, 374 pages ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Shear, Sarah B.
Tschida, Christina M.
Buchanan, Lisa Brown
Saylor, Elizabeth E.
- Teaching and learning social studies
- Machine generated contents note: pt. I PUSHING THE BOUNDARIES OF HOW WE TALK ABOUT ELEMENTARY SOCIAL STUDIES -- 1.Class Meeting as Critical Pedagogy: Addressing Controversial Topics and Enacting Shared Responsibility in Elementary Social Studies Education / Elizabeth Bellows -- 2.Black Like Me: Race Pedagogy and Black Elementary Social Studies Teacher Educators / Amanda E. Vickery -- 3.Exposing Whiteness in the Elementary Social Studies Methods Classroom: In Pursuit of Developing Antiracist Teacher Education Candidates / Andrea M. Hawkman -- 4.Feminist Theory in Elementary Social Studies Education: Making Women an Equal Part of History / Elizabeth E. Saylor -- pt. II ENGAGING ELEMENTARY PRESERVICE TEACHERS WITH CONTROVERSIAL ISSUES -- 5.Using History Labs to Examine Immigration Policy and the DREAM Act / Cara Ward -- 6.Unpacking the Paradox: Preservice Teachers' Affirming Beliefs about LGBTQ Families and the Persistent Avoidance of LGBTQ Topics in Elementary Schools / Lisa Brown Buchanan -- 7.Not All Terrorists: A Teacher Educator's Approach to Teaching Against Islamophobia and for Religious Tolerance / Noreen Naseem Rodriguez -- 8.Confronting Colonial Blindness in Citizenship Education: Recognizing Colonization, Self-Determination, and Sovereignty as Core Knowledge for Elementary Social Studies Teacher Education / Sarah B. Shear -- 9.Children Should Know Where Meat Comes From: Problematizing Meat-Eating in Elementary Schools / Cory Wright-Maley -- 10.Putting Mrs. Rosa Parks Front and Center of an Elementary Methods Course / Lisa Gilbert -- 11.The Bending of History Made Straight / Brian Gibbs -- 12.Unpacking Patriotism in an Elementary Social Studies Methods Class / Sohyun An -- 13.Preparing Preservice Educators to Teach American Indian Boarding School Histories / Meredith L. McCoy -- pt. III TEACHING CONTROVERSIAL ISSUES IN THE ELEMENTARY CLASSROOM -- 14.Mni Wiconi: Teaching the #NoDapl Movement, Native American Sovereignty, and Indigenous Knowledge in Elementary Classrooms / Dina Gilio-Whitaker -- 15.Following Dylan's Lead: Student-led Discussion of Gender Variance in the Elementary Classroom / Andrea Clark -- 16.Using Mendez v. Westminster to Explore Mexican American Discrimination / Maribel Santiago -- 17.Hidden in History: (Re)Constructing Asian American History in Elementary Social Studies Classrooms / Rosalie Ip -- 18.Teaching About Enslavement Through a Critical Analysis of three Early Childhood Historical Fiction Texts / Angelia Lomax -- 19.Not an Aberration of History: Genocide Education in Elementary Social Studies / Rebecca C. Christ.
- The field of elementary social studies is a specific space that has historically been granted unequal value in the larger arena of social studies education and research. This reader stands out as a collection of approaches aimed specifically at teaching controversial issues in elementary social studies. This book challenges social studies education (i.e., classrooms, teacher education programs, and research) to engage controversial issues--those topics with opposing, often politically, religiously, or are otherwise ideologically charged which make people, especially teachers, uncomfortable--in profound ways at the elementary level. This reader, meant for elementary educators and social studies teacher educators offers an innovative vision from a new generation of social studies teacher educators and researchers fighting against the forces of neoliberalism and marginalization of our field.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 22605936